iPad: Using Instagram
Instagram is a social media app for sharing photos and videos from your smartphone. Similar to Facebook and Twitter, Instagram is a showcase for your photos and short videos (3 to 60 secs).
- If you share a photo or video in a Post, the photos and videos remain in your profile.
- If you share photos and videos in a Story, the photos and videos disappear after 24 hours.
Set Up Instagram
Download Instagram from the App Store. Because Instagram is meant to be used on your smartphone, there is not a dedicated iPad app for Instagram. You can download and use the iPhone version of the app on your iPad.
In the upper left corner of the App Store app, select iPhone Only from the drop-down menu. You can download and use the iPhone version of the app on your iPad. Download and open the app.
Note: Instagram will display only in Portrait mode. The app doesn’t change orientation when you change the iPad orientation.
Once the app is open, create an Instagram account. During the account creation process, you may be prompted to connect to Facebook or allow access to your Contacts to find friends to follow. You can do that now or wait until later.
About Followers and Private Accounts
Unlike Facebook Friends, you do not have to approve Instagram Followers if your account is Public.
Your account can be either fully Public or fully Private.
- A Public account is visible to everyone and anyone on Instagram can follow you without gaining approval from you.
- A Private account is visible only to followers whom you have approved.
To make your account Private:
- Go to your Profile.
- Tap Settings.
- Turn Private Account to On.
The Instagram Home Page
Find Friends to Follow
When you follow someone, their posts and stories will be displayed in your Instagram feed.
You can explore in Instagram to search for your friends. You can also allow Instagram access to your Facebook friends and your Contacts to find friends who are already on Instagram.
To search for a friend:
- Tap Search/Explore on the Home screen.
- Enter a name or Instagram username in the Search box.
- Tap People.
- Tap a username to open a Profile.
- Tap Follow.
To find friends through your Profile:
- Tap Profile on the Home screen.
- Tap the Discover People icon in the upper left corner.
- Tap Suggested to see suggestions from Instagram.
- Tap Facebook to see your Facebook friends who are on Instagram.
- Tap Contacts to see your contacts who are on Instagram.
- Tap Follow next to a name.
Note: If you have not yet done so, Instagram will request that you connect to Facebook or allow access to your Contacts.
Tap on a story at the top of the Home page to view a series of images or videos from people you follow.
Scroll down on the Home page to view posts from people you follow. Instagram uses a complex algorithm to display posts to you. The posts may not appear in chronological order, and you may not see all posts from someone you follow.
An Instagram Post
This image shows the screen you see when you look at one of your own posts in your Profile.
Respond to a Post
To respond to a post:
- Tap Like to like the post.
- Tap Comment to add a comment.
- Tap Share to share the post on Facebook or Twitter.
- Tap Save to save a post to view later. You can also save it in a Collection.
Create a Post
A post is a permanent entry in your Profile.
To create a post:
- Tap the Add Post icon (+ sign) at the bottom of the Home page.
- Tap Library, Photo or Video.
- Share photo from the library, take a photo or create a video.
- Tap Next.
- Add a filter or edit the photo.
- Tap Next.
- Write a caption, tag people, or add a location.
- Turn on sharing to Facebook or Twitter, if you have set up sharing to those social media sites.
- Tap Share.
Create a Story
A story is a collection of photos and videos that is displayed for 24 hours only and then is deleted. Photos must be taken in the last 24 hours and videos can be only 15 seconds long.
To create a story:
- Tap the Camera icon at the top left of the Home page, or tap your Profile icon with the plus sign in the Stories area.
- Select the type of content you want to add: Normal photo, Live video, Boomerang, Rewind, Hands Free.
- Take the photo or video.
- Add a sticker, marker or text and tap Next.
- Tap Your Story to add it your story.
Instagram Profile Page
View and Edit Your Profile
To view your profile, tap the Profile icon at the far right at the bottom of any page.
To edit your profile:
- Tap Edit Profile.
- Change your profile photo.
- Change any profile info.
- Tap Done.
Change Instagram Settings
In settings, you can:
- Find friends to follow.
- Change story settings.
- Change your account type: Private or Public.
- Link your Facebook and Twitter accounts to Instagram to post to social media from Instagram.
… and much more
To change Instagram settings, tap the Gear icon.
Link Your Facebook Account
To link your Facebook account:
- Go to your Profile page.
- Tap the Gear icon.
- Tap Linked Accounts.
- Tap Facebook and follow the instructions to link your Facebook account.
View Posts you have Saved
Tap the Flag icon to view your saved posts and collections.
Find Friends to Follow
Tap the Discover People icon in the top left corner of the page.
Here are a few tips to improve your Instagram experience:
- Use hashtags to help people find your posts and to search for posts you may like.
- Engage with others by liking and commenting on their posts.
- Follow people whose posts you like and find other people to follow by seeing who they follow.
- You do not have to follow someone just because they follow you. Some of your followers who are strangers to you are only following you because they want you to follow them.
Hashtags are a phrase preceded by a hash mark (#). Examples of hashtags:
Why use hashtags? You can search specifically for a hashtag and view all the photos that are marked with that tag. Hashtags make it easier for people to find your photos, too.
Many accounts will feature photos that are tagged with a designated hashtag. You may be discovered and shared to a wider audience in this way.
Do you like Paris – or any other specific topic? You can search for these hashtags and find more people who post Paris photos to follow::