Create a Folder in the Mail App
If your email provider allows it, you can create a folder for your mail account in the Mail app on the iPad. Notice that the Mail app may contain messages from several accounts, such as iCloud and Google, or whatever mail account you use to receive your primary mail.
You can create folders for any mail accounts that use the IMAP protocol, such as iCloud mail, Google mail and Yahoo mail. When you create a folder on the iPad, it will also be visible in your desktop app. In the Mail app, folders are called mailboxes.
Note: Some mail providers use another protocol, POP3. You cannot create mail folders for POP3 mail accounts, such as Verizon.net.
Create a folder (mailbox)
In this example, I’ll show you how to create a folder for an iCloud mail account.You can use the same process to create a folder in other mail accounts that allow folders.
- Open the Mail app. In the main Mailboxes page, look under Accounts. Then, tap iCloud to open the iCloud account. (If you are not on the main Mailboxes page when you open the app, tap the back arrow at the top of the page until you see it.)
- In the iCloud account, tap Edit at the top of the page.
- At the bottom of the Edit page, tap New Mailbox.
- Enter a name for the new mailbox, then tap Save.
- Notice that the new mailbox now appears in the list of folders for the iCloud account. Tap Done to finish.
Help! I can’t create a folder in the account I selected
Do you use multiple mail accounts in Mail? Sometimes when you try to create a folder, the New Mailbox screen will display a different account than the one you selected; for example, instead of your iCloud account, it displays your Gmail account.
- Do not enter a folder name. Tap Cancel.
- Tap Done.
- Tap to open the Inbox of the account in which you want to create a folder.
- Tap the back arrow in the upper left corner to go back to the Mailboxes screen.
- Follow the previous steps to create a folder again. You should now be in the correct account.
Move a message into a folder
You can now move your messages into folders to organize them.
- Make folders that are generic, such as Bills, Photos and Travel. You can then store similar messages from many different senders in one folder.
- Make folders to hold groups of messages from one organization or project, such as iPad Club or Class Reunion.
- Use Search instead of folders for individuals. You can easily search for all messages from one person.
To move a message into a folder:
- Open the message you want to move. Tap the Folder icon at the top of the message.
- Tap to select the folder where you want to move the message. The message is moved.
View messages in a folder
To view the messages in a folder:
- Tap the back arrow at the top of the screen to go back to the Mailboxes screen.
- Tap to open the folder where you placed the message.
- The contents of the folder are displayed.
- To go back to the the Mailboxes screen, tap the back arrow at the top of the screen.
- Tap Inbox to go back to your iCloud Inbox.
Download a text-only PDF of the steps in this lesson.